Paintball Matches

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 ANNIVERSARY BASH 2004 - WAR PHOTOGRAPHER FOUND!!
Author:  (219.93.44.---)
Date:   03-24-04 03:54

Gungho paul,

Since I won't be playing, I'm interested to volunteer to be the "war photographer"...no need to pay me...just let me document the whole scenario. I can provide my own safety gear + mask, so that saves the expense of the management. Why me? This is for mutual benefit....you get free service and I get to build my portfolio.

You can opt for two options or both...DIGITAL & ANALOG..

DIGITAL

I have a Canon Powershot A60 digicam which can take about 427 pics (1024 x 768 pixels) or 244 pics (1600 x 1200 pixels) superfine quality.

I could also record short 3mins avi's at 320 x 240 pixels (this is if someone were kind enough to lend their laptop so that I can transfer the files cause video clips takes up alot of space thus limiting the photos)

ANALOG

I'm using a EOS300 with standard kit lens 28-85mm and 75-300mm.

The only cost the management has to bear is probably the film (RM10) and photo prints (RM20 for 36exposure 3R) or (Rm26+ for 36exposure 4R).

These are the standard prices you will find at all the photo shops +- 1 or 2 ringgit.

Do let me know if there's any do's and dont's...for example..the "war photographer" should wear COLORFUL CLOTHING to avoid being identified and tagged as a TARGET. pls feel free to share your views..

For a look at my photography portfolio and also to get in touch with me;

Pls do not hesitate to contact me at: [email protected]

i'm doing this for the love of the game & to see the development of malaysia's paintball ! let's pull our resources together.

but pls do not misunderstand, as time goes by, i wanna play paintball too! haha..

thanks!

Cheers,
JT Proteus II

gungho paul

as u would have read on the notice board,the bash falls on the 27th of this month.special rates,free food,media,bonding,lucky draw and lot of chics.....(i might be wrong on the last item).i forsee major battles taking place from 2pm onwards.comanders,pls take note to book your guns early as we have a limited supply.anyone with fresh ideas for the day...pls share it.do we have any volunteers to do a vcd of the day???how about our production friends??it is amazing what we can achieve if we pool our resources together.

Reply To This Message

Re: ANNIVERSARY BASH 2004 - WAR PHOTOGRAPHER FOUND!!
Date:   03-24-04 03:56

BTW,

i plan to register as a member of Xtion Paintball before this ANNIVERSARY BASH...so there..

Cheers,
JT Proteus II

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-24-04 04:14

ok here's some info. i got on my own initiatives. As i speak, I'm searching the Net for paintball related photos:

Shooting photos, shot by paintballs
http://www.seacoastonline.com/2002news/pget7_21.htm

When I was younger, I wanted to be a war photographer. Robert Capa was my hero and I dreamed of being in the middle of the action crouching with my camera as bullets whizzed overhead. Now, after last Sunday, I think I must have been crazy. While I didn't exactly venture into a war zone, I got my first taste of what it's like to photograph, literally, under the gun.

I was assigned the New England Paintball Championships at Birch Hill Paintball Field in York, Maine. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but I wasn't prepared to see hundreds of "players" wearing what looked like space suits and toting semiautomatic weapons. John Lydston, the organizer, met me at the field and told me I could go into the game since the tall protective netting made photographing from any safe distance impossible.

Willing to do anything for a picture, I was pumped up and ready to go. He handed me a shirt, a plastic shield and a face mask, and sent me in with the caveat that I might get hit, but that paintballs only sting a little bit. My mind was reeling with exciting picture possibilities and I felt so cool being in the action ... then the game started. Players scattered and ducked behind obstacles leaving me wandering the field looking for people.

"Watch out," the judges kept telling me, "you're walking right into a fire zone." Where? I couldn't even see these people, let alone the tiny balls of paint that blasted out of their guns at an alarming rate. But I had my plastic shield, so I walked around confidently pressing my camera against the goggles of my face mask thinking only about getting the best picture. I was invincible. Besides, I figured the players would probably try to avoid hitting the photographer. How very wrong I was. The first one hit the back of my thigh. Now, I'm no wimp (I'm a lacrosse goalie), but these things don't "sting a little bit," they hurt! And this was only the tip of the iceberg.

Before I knew it, I was being pelted everywhere by these invisible little balls. My arms and legs completely covered in paint and starting to bruise. Instead of getting good shots, I was being shot at. Repeatedly. I was caught in a crossfire and needed to make my escape. Suddenly, photographing through a net was sounding better and better. I tried sliding against the net to stay out of harm's way, but somehow that only made things worse. My only recourse would be to drop to my hands and knees and crawl underneath the fire. I was inching my way toward the exit when all of a sudden my vision went completely blurry.

My first thought was that a paintball had penetrated the face mask and hit my eye, rendering me blind. I was stunned for a minute, worst-case scenarios swimming through my head. Then I felt something wet and sticky sliding down my hand. It must be blood. But wait, blood isn't yellow. That's right, a big glob of paint had hit my camera lens and was dripping through my fingers. That was it. They could hit me all they wanted, but when my camera became the victim, it was all over.

Fortunately, the game ended shortly thereafter and I was able to get out safely and tend to my lens. My thankfulness of surviving was short-lived, however, when I discovered I had only taken 11 pictures. Not very eager to go back into the field, I took another of Lydston's suggestions and climbed a 15-foot ladder to try shooting down over the netting. This was working fairly well, I was not in any direct line of fire, and I was getting decent shots.

Then came the announcement that all cars on the right side of the street were getting towed. Guess where I parked. I scurried down the ladder and ran to the street to see only two cars left, one of which was mine. What a day! And it was only 10 a.m. I had to rush to my next assignment, so I photographed a couple more paintballers calibrating their guns, which meant shooting away from me, then I got out of there as fast as possible.

I was an absolute mess. My arms and legs were covered in dried paint and mud, my hair was sticky and sweaty from being under the helmet, and my gray tennis shoes had taken on the color of yellow, green, white and brown. Not the most professional look.

To make matters even worse, my next assignment was at a church and going home to shower and change was not an option. Everyone at Little Harbor Chapel was very understanding, though, and did not judge me by my sweaty, dirty, paint-covered appearance. Luckily, most of the paint has come out of my clothes and shoes, and my lens was fine after a good, thorough cleaning. In the end, among the many things I will take with me from this internship invaluable work experience, photographic practice and learning, not to mention a shopping bag full of clips I can add a few lingering bruises and a great war story.

-------------

Cheers,
JT Proteus II

Reply To This Message

Author:  (202.71.98.---)
Date:   03-24-04 07:31

i like your initiative and kind offer.you have the right spirit.call anor-0122970206 and tell him please.see u on saturday.

Reply To This Message

Author: snake-eyes [Rainbow 6] (219.92.12.---)
Date:   03-24-04 09:13

JT Proteus II, think contributing to the game is good. suggest to get a yellow cover vest (weared by the marshalls) so you can stand one side and the guys won't shoot you....unless you wanna wear the U.N Blue logo...hahahaha...

Better use digital camera, can take more shots rather than spend $ on analog then need to wash. People are going for everything digital, so suggest you do that too. In case , not enough shots, bring a USB pen drive or something that connects to your powershot or whatever gadgets you have.

welcome abroad.

Reply To This Message

Author:  (219.95.155.---)
Date:   03-24-04 14:10

snake-eyes [Rainbow 6],

i might opt to use my analog for the real war instead. cause my analog has a lens protector whereas my digital camera has no protection at all..

If a stray pellet or its paint lands on my digital camera lens', there goes my camera!!

Unless I can find a way to offer maximum protection. My only thought is getting that scuba casing for underwater use but that thing costs a bomb ...around 1k to be exact!! Any other ideas/suggestions, guys?

I hope the players can give me their word that they won't shoot me...also I need to study the maps so I don't wannabe in the line-of-fire...

So far I am confident of lugging my analog camera into the war scene for now ;-) but will try to think of something for my digicam.

Cheers,
JT Proteus II

Reply To This Message

Author:  (219.92.3.---)
Date:   03-24-04 21:33

jt,u can use our xtion's digital camera.call anor.tq

Reply To This Message

Author: snake-eyes [Rainbow 6] (---.jaring.my)
Date:   03-24-04 22:34

JT, just go up the tower where the Marshall is and take photos from there.....you won't get shot like that....

Reply To This Message

Author:  (219.92.3.---)
Date:   03-24-04 22:43

guys,

We already have a section called Anniversary Bash...why open another one???

Reply To This Message

Author:  (219.95.171.---)
Date:   03-25-04 04:42

it's me again Top Gun..

apologies for the additional thread!

Cheers,
JT Proteus II

Reply To This Message

Author: ANDREW-abit gungho (218.208.238.---)
Date:   03-25-04 23:20

Very very good work there JT Proteus II!!! u did alot of survey for us paintball lovers.......So.....tomolo can u take extra pictures of me ah? ;p thanxa!

Reply To This Message

Author: ANDREW-abit gungho (218.208.240.---)
Date:   03-28-04 01:57

yo Proteus...Thanx again for your effort! (from moving your pc from 3rd floor to the car to the park,back to your car to 3rd floor again.....) We really appreciate what you did....Thanx again.......Hope to play with you some other time.....Welcome to the club.....

Reply To This Message

Author:  (219.95.29.---)
Date:   03-28-04 09:47

yo ANDREW-abit gungo,

thakns dude! and yeah...i did take extra pictures of you..

check out the gallery at :

http://xtionpaintball.fotopic.net/

Cheers,
JT Proteus II

Reply To This Message

Author: gunho paul (219.92.3.---)
Date:   03-28-04 21:44

thank you for your efforts at the park the other day.i would like to meet up with u soon for a chit chat.again,thank u.paul

Reply To This Message

Author:  (210.186.130.---)
Date:   03-29-04 01:54

Wallawwei!!!!! nice work JT Proteus II, Nice work xtion paintball, Nice work to all of you!!!! i'm so pissed off man, got midterm exam pulak last saturday, seems like i've to wait for another year lah nih..... takpa takpa, tengok gambar you all just now, menyentuh perasaan, desert fox got their own jersey, wow! nevermind, next year ada lagi!!! CIAO!!!

Cheers,
CosmoWarrior @ The Punisher.

Reply To This Message

Author: snake eyes [Rainbow 6] (202.186.66.---)
Date:   04-01-04 20:40

Hey JT Protues, will you be going there this Sunday?

Reply To This Message

Author:  (219.95.174.---)
Date:   04-02-04 05:01

Should be. Yup!

Cheers,
JT Proteus II

Reply To This Message

Author: snake eyes [Rainbow 6] (202.186.66.---)
Date:   04-02-04 06:23

Ok...might be there...around 2p.m. Bringin my gear just in case. Will meet up with you.

unless I have a date for movies....hahaha

snake-eyes
R6

Reply To This Message

Author: Mr E (210.186.18.---)
Date:   04-02-04 07:25

Yo JT Proteus II !!!
Congratulation on the job well done man....

Reply To This Message

Author: Mr E (210.186.18.---)
Date:   04-02-04 07:25

Yo JT Proteus II !!!
Congratulation on the job well done man....

Reply To This Message
 Forum List  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject: